Step 1: Explore Credo or Britannica (or look for encyclopedias!) to find some tertiary info on your topic.
Step 2: Make a list of what you know and what you need to know.
||We need to know
- Labeld an "assimilation policy"
- Happened between ~1910 and ~1970
- Children taken from parents, they are call the 'stolen generation'
- Some things australia is doing now to acknowledge the stolen generations. (National Sorry Day/Day of Healing, resources for those looking for their own story, resources for indiginous people though national archives
- What was the vocabulary of the time in describing the event? (helps me search, esp. for primary source)
- Was forced sterilization and the 'stolen children' carried out with the intent to destroy the group? If so, good case for it IS a genocide.
- Why did this go on until the 1970s? (describing the ecent)
- What did british settlers/australian population of british desent think about australian aboriginals that they let this happen? (context)
- Look into "Australia's Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission in 1997" (mentioned in Credo)