Goals for today
- Continue to define and refine your topic
- Figure out what types of sources/information you need
- Start exploring scholarly resources
- Save sources for your preliminary bibliography (due on the 5th!)
Deciding on a topic
Often finding a topic can be the most challenging part of writing a research paper, here are some ways to choose and narrow down a topic.
- What am I interested in?
- What do I want to know?
- What problems need to be solved?
- Related words, ideas, people, and topics
- Make a mind map
- No idea? Try an encyclopedia entry on your topic
Too specific/ not specifc enough?
- Be reasonable
- Start wide and focus/narrow doesn your question
- Try to make an 'idea pyramid'
- Still having trouble? Ask Dr. Smithey or a librarian