PLEASE NOTE: If you have installed the Mendeley Desktop application and Word plug-in on your computer, these are no longer supported. It is recommended that you first uninstall the Word plug-in (do this from the Tools menu in Mendeley Desktop) and then Mendeley Desktop. To continue using Mendeley in Microsoft Word, download the Mendeley Cite add-in as described below. You can view and edit your library from either Mendeley.com or the Reference Manager (see instructions below). Please contact John Garrison with any questions.
Mendeley Citation Guide
Please contact John Garrison if you have questions or need any help using Mendeley!
Follow these steps to get started with Mendeley citation management:
1. Go to Mendeley.com and Create a Free Account. (please make sure to use your @westminster.edu email address for your account)
2. When you login with your new account, you will be able to view and edit your Library of citations from this page, or download an app to your computer called Reference Manager to use your Library.
** Please note: As long as you have an internet connection, changes made to your Library will sync between the Library in your browser and the Library in Reference Manager.
Add citations to your Mendeley Library in any of the following ways:
3. Use direct database citation export tools (available in ScienceDirect and Scopus).
NOTE: If you are not signed in to Mendeley on your browser, Scopus will allow you to do so after selecting Export -> Mendeley
4. Download individual citations in .ris format and upload to your Library (use this in WISE, EBSCOhost, and other databases).
Mendeley Cite allows you to add citations from your Library to any Microsoft Word document. Follow these steps to set it up on your computer.
1. Go to the Microsoft AppSource store and download the Mendeley Cite add-in (free download).
2. Once you have downloaded the add-in, you will be able to go to Microsoft Word to finish the installation.
Warning: You may encounter the following message after clicking "Open in Word". Disregard this - Mendeley Cite should still appear when you click the References tab in step 3 below.
3. Mendeley Cite appears in the References tab (far right side) at the top of Microsoft Word.
4. If you don't see Mendeley Cite in the References tab, you can manually add it by going to the Insert tab in Microsoft Word.
Add citations from your Mendeley Library into your Word document, choose the citation style, and insert a bibliography.