The summer undergraduate research fellowship program is intended to support the undertaking of research projects and creative activities performed by undergraduates at Westminster College under the supervision of Westminster College faculty during a four-week or six-week period anytime between May and August.
The program is competitive with a limited number of students/faculty pairs selected to receive fellowships each summer.
Funding: Individuals selected for the competitive Drinko Center Summer Research Fellowship Program will be provided the following compensation:
- Stipend for the undergraduate student $1,500 (four weeks) or $2,500 (six weeks)
- Stipend for the faculty mentor $750 (four weeks) or $1,125 (six weeks)
- On-campus housing for four or six weeks (Students who elect to live off-campus are not eligible for housing funds.)
Eligibility: The student must be currently enrolled as a degree-seeking student and be in good academic standing at Westminster College at the time of the fellowship application. Students who will graduate in May are NOT eligible for this program.
Students must identify and contact a mentor who is a current Westminster College Faculty member in advance of submitting an application. A mentor must agree to support your application, help you to develop and define a research project, and assist you in the writing of the research proposal.
Conditions: Students and Faculty selected to receive a summer research fellowship are subjected to the following conditions:
- During the Summer Fellowship Period:
- Students must meet with their Faculty mentors a minimum of twice a week and keep a record of each of their meetings.
- Students must write a summary of their project progress to be submitted to the Drinko Center no later than the first day of classes of the fall semester following the summer they completed their fellowship.
- Students must complete the program evaluation form no later than the first day of classes of the fall semester following the summer they completed their fellowship.
- Faculty must complete the program evaluation form no later than the first day of classes of the fall semester following the summer they completed their fellowship.
- Post Fellowship Period:
- Student fellowship recipients are required to present at the Professional Networking Symposium and to give an oral presentation promoting the summer fellowship program to students in their major in the fall semester following their summer research experience.
- Student fellowship recipients are required to participate in the Undergraduate Research & Arts Celebration in the academic year following their summer research experience.